Enter Our Essay Contest!
Think of a hero you had in childhood. Why was this person your hero? What specific attributes made him or her admirable to you? Did your respect and admiration grow or diminish as you obtained maturity and wisdom? When and why did your opinion change? Or why has it remained unshaken?
Please tell us about your childhood hero in an original nonfiction essay that is no more than 1,000 words. Submit the essay to us at email@example.com.
Essays will be judged on their creativity, clarity and emotional power. Make us laugh or make us cry; we’re up for either. And while it’s OK if your essay does not cover every question in the prompt, it must connect to the given theme of childhood hero.
If your essay wins, you will receive $100 in gift certificates to Columbia restaurants, along with a chance to have your essay published in Inside Columbia’s Prime. One runner-up will receive $50 in gift certificates.
Rules & Requirements
- We will accept submissions from May 1 through June 30, 2015.
- Essays should be no longer than 1,000 words. Essays exceeding this length may not be considered.
- Eligible writers must be at least 50 years old by June 30, 2015.
- Use “Prime Essay Contest” as the email subject line when making your submission.
- We prefer essays attached as a Microsoft Word document; however, we will consider essays that are pasted into the body of the email.
- Be sure to include your name, age, email address and phone number both in the body of the email and on all attached documents.
- This contest is for original nonfiction work that has not been previously published. By entering, entrants warrant that the piece (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual-property rights of any third party and (2) has not been published in any medium.