The Ultimate Checklist
You’re getting married! Congratulations! Now it’s time to get planning. Just take it one month at a time and the overwhelming job will become quite manageable.
12 months to go
• Set the date.
• Settle your budget. Decide who will pay for what.
• Hire your wedding consultant.
• Speak with your minister.
• Begin pre-marital counseling.
• Reserve wedding and reception sites.
• Book the caterer, baker, florist, photographer, videographer, musicians and DJ.
11 months to go
• Create the guest list.
• Ask chosen friends and family members to be your attendants.
• Reserve a block of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests.
10 months to go
• Register with at least three places.
• Begin planning the honeymoon.
• Order your wedding gown.
9 months to go
• Order invitations and announcements.
• Order all the female attendants’ dresses.
• Put together a things-to-do/sights-to-see guide for out-of-town guests.
8 months to go
• Schedule an engagement photo session in time to have photos by Month 6.
• Begin planning the rehearsal dinner.
• Meet with your florist for an ideas session.
7 months to go
• Select music for the ceremony and reception.
• Choose the men’s formal wear.
• Book all transportation.
6 months to go
• Send engagement announcement to papers and submit the information online to Inside Columbia at www.insidecolumbia.net
• Meet with your baker to choose the wedding cake and groom’s cake.
• Choose your hairstyle and purchase your accessories, shoes, etc.
5 months to go
• Meet with your florist to finalize decisions, place order.
• Order all decorations not covered by florist, including rental items.
• Order napkins and other reception necessities not covered by caterer.
4 months to go
• Meet with your caterer to select menu.
• Meet with your photographer and videographer to select packages.
• Meet with the musicians and DJ to finalize decisions.
• Make an appointment at your nail salon this month to begin prepping your nails.
• Finalize your honeymoon plans, make all the reservations and order all the tickets.
3 months to go
• Order the wedding bands.
• Purchase gifts for all the attendants and your fiancé.
• Plan the seating arrangements for the rehearsal dinner and reception.
• Make two appointments with your hairstylist — one for a trial run and one for your wedding day (if your photographer is taking a bridal portrait, schedule the trial run for the same day).
2 months to go
• Mail the wedding invitations.
• Finalize accommodation arrangements for out-of-town guests.
• Submit all tuxedo sizes with the formal wear store.
• Shop for lingerie.
1 month to go
• Pick up wedding rings.
• Complete all final fittings.
• Have your bridal portrait taken.
• Finalize plans for the rehearsal dinner.
• Prepare all the necessary forms for name and address changes.
• Get your programs printed.
• Write thank-you notes as you receive gifts.
2 weeks to go
• Get the marriage license.
• Give invitations to the rehearsal dinner.
• Make sure you have all the clothes, shoes and accessories you’ll need before, during and after the wedding.
• Buy clothes and supplies for the honeymoon.
• Reconfirm honeymoon reservations.
• Confirm all transportation plans.
• Address announcements to mail on your wedding day.
• Touch base with caterer, baker, florist, photographer, videographer, musicians and DJ.
• Start “breaking in” your wedding shoes at home.
• Create a wedding day schedule to hand out at the rehearsal.
1 week to go
• Provide the caterer with a final guest count.
• Throw or attend the bridesmaids’ party. Give the bridesmaids their gifts there.
• Appoint someone not in the wedding party to handle last-minute concerns.
• Review expectations with all wedding party members.
• Try on everything you plan to wear the day of the wedding, including undergarments and jewelry.
• Go for your final manicure.
• Pack for the honeymoon.
• Pack your wedding day bag.
The day before
• Relax! Enjoy the company of a few close friends and family members.
• Attend rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
• Get plenty of rest.
Enjoy your day!!