Summer is here and so is the 100-plus degree heat. Humidity can often lead to makeup smudges, smears and chapped lips. In hot days, applying makeup can be more of a chore than an enjoyment. But choosing the right makeup and applying it correctly can help you create a summery look that will last all day.
For summer makeup tips, we turned to expert Lindsey Lujan with Cayce Medical Spa. Lujan is a licensed aesthetician and is Cidesco certified. She believes summer is the perfect time to switch up your makeup routine and look stunning, even in the heat.
You have probably already assessed your skin tone. Makeup that looks good on light skin may not complement dark skin well, and vice versa. So, choose the colors that work best on you. Women who fall on the warm end of the skin-tone spectrum, such as model April Barnett, should select colors like deep bronze or coffee. If you have a cooler complexion or lighter skin tone such as model Mandy Main, stick to summer colors like orange, bronze and pink.
Of course, summer calls for color! Gone are the dark colors of winter. A dash of bright color for your eyes or lips will make them pop. Consider trending colors such as retro blue, bright fuchsia or vibrant violet for your eyes. But keep in mind, Lujan cautions, a little color goes a long way.
For Interesting Eyes
- For longer-lasting shadow, apply an eye primer as a base. “It creates a base for the shadow so that your eye makeup stays on longer,” Lujan says.
- Next, cover the eyelid with a light base shade.
- Apply shadow in a “V” shape on the outer edge of eye and the top of lid.
- To bring light to the eyes, highlight the inner color of the eye and brow.
- Keep your eyelashes healthy by applying lash conditioner before mascara.
- When applying mascara, shimmy the brush to separate lashes.
- For nightwear, play up your eyes by using faux eyelashes. “If you want to soften the glue line of false lashes, just apply a thin eyeliner or shadow to the line,” Lujan says.
For Radiant Skin
- To make your skin look even over the entire face, apply foundation with your fingertips in a circular motion. “Bring the foundation a little past the jawline to blend the skin on the face with the neckline,” Lujan says.
- To lighten your eye, use a concealer under the eyes that is a few shades lighter than your foundation.
- Apply contour in a C shape from the hollow of the cheek bone to the temple.
- To define your nose, apply dark contour powder to the outside of the nose and lighter color on the center.
- The final step when applying your makeup is to use setting powder over the entire face to seal in the look. “Setting powders lock down your foundation and keep oily skin at bay throughout the day,” Lujan says.
For Luscious Lips
- Lip liner will help conceal your lipstick and make it last longer. The color doesn’t have to match, but should be in the same color palette.
- For summer, toss that heavy matte lipstick and instead put on simple lip gloss for daytime. It’s easy to apply, trendy for summer and keeps the lips nourished.
- Do you want your lips to appear fuller and plump? Add a little gloss or lighter shade of lipstick in the center of your lips.