Photos by L.G. Patterson
I love al fresco dining. It takes the most ordinary food and makes it feel like a celebration.
Snacks and drinks? Absolutely.
Brunch or dinner? Yes.
It even makes doing the dishes more enjoyable, and that’s saying a lot.
We often have dishes like this broccoli, fruit and poppy seed salad during the outdoor dining season. I love fruit and vegetables together, and this salad comes together quick.
Plus, it can be tailored to any kind of meal. Grill up some chicken and it’s a lovely side dish. A scoop or two on a lettuce salad makes a nice light lunch. And it travels well to picnics, baseball tournaments or reunions.
I’m giving you the recipe with apples, but I know you’d love it with grapes and extra berries as well. If you see me out walking Brady this spring, pull over and let me know how you liked it!
Broccoli Salad with Berries & Poppy Seeds
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 apple diced
- 1 cup grapes cut in half
- 1/2 to 1 cup feta cheese
- Toasted nuts optional
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together broccoli, blueberries, apples and grapes. Toss with dressing.
- Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Toss in feta and nuts, and mix well.