Photos by L.G. Patterson
There are so many things I love about this time of year.I was always a back-to-school kind of girl and growing up in rural Missouri meant special meals for football weekends, whether we were watching from the hometown stands on Friday night or in the living room on Saturday.
Living in Columbia gives my family so many fun opportunities for tailgating before Mizzou Tiger games and I love to see the variety of foods my friends bring to share.
Some people are really all about the wings. Others want grilled brats or burgers, and I have one good friend whose nachos are legendary.
For me, this corn and black bean salad is a tailgate must. It goes great as a light lettuce salad topper, works great with all meats, sides up nicely to anything that can come off a grill and is just perfect by itself on a chip or 10.
The best thing? You can make it a day or so ahead because it gives the flavors a chance to really meld or throw it together in 20 minutes if you get a last-minute invite.
Bring extra chips!
Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I personally love Duke’s brand)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (I prefer smoked)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Chopped green or red pepper or a jalapeno (optional)
- Place corn and beans in a large bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and spices in a small bowl.
- Add cilantro and green onions to corn and beans. Stir gently, then fold in dressing. Mix in optional peppers.
- Refrigerate for up to five days.